“Pupils’ acquisition and command of vocabulary are key to their learning and progress across the whole curriculum. Teachers should therefore develop vocabulary actively, building systematically on pupils’ current knowledge.” National Curriculum 2014
At the heart of communication lies the knowledge and understanding of a wide range of vocabulary. This session will explore how we as practitioners support children in the early stages of developing and utilising vocabulary. We will consider both direct and indirect instruction, alongside embedding children’s understanding of nuances of language.
Suitable for FS/KS1 teachers and teaching assistants.
This course will:
- explore the expectations in the EYFS and the National Curriculum
- support teachers in encouraging a love of words
- consider what words to teach and why
- make links with the teaching of reading and writing
- deliver a range of practical activities to embed a secure understanding of the meanings of words.
To book your place, click here.